Once inhabited by the Lenni Lenape Indians, Quaker settlers arrived in the 1700's. In 1877 the tourism boom began. $8 bought room and board including a wagon ride to the beach for a week. The boardwalk was built in 1915 and in the late 1920's Orlo Jenkinson built Jenkinson's swimming pool and pavilion. Today a premier New Jersey shore boardwalk, a 1st class aquarium, and antique shops make this a great location for all ages.